Travel Luton weekly walk
This week's feature for National Walking month takes us to the pub and the river. Read on to find out how to get there!
This walk is courtesy of the Ramblers Get Walking Keep Walking website, which features great urban routes in Luton. This week's walk is short, taking in the Biscot and Limbury area of Luton. It goes past an ancient, thatched carvery pub and the local allotments. It continues along a river path before returning to the Community Centre through residential streets.
Begin at Saints Community Centre gates and turn onto Solway Road North, crossing the road carefully.
- Turn left and walk towards Bristol Road. At the end of the road turn right and cross the road carefully. Keep going to the right towards Bishopscote Road, passing the turning for Trent Road on your right, At the end of Bristol Road turn left into Bishopscote Road by the roundabout. There are some shops on this junction. Cross over Tintagel Close and continue to the junction with Trinity Road.
- Cross this busy road carefully at the traffic lights, crossing towards the petrol station. Take the road that carries on ahead called Nunnery Lane. Follow it to the junction with Britannia Avenue. You will see a thatched building opposite you. This is The Old Moat House, a carvery pub. Cross over towards the pub and take a look inside, or sit out in the pretty garden.
- From the Old Moat House, turn right to continue in the same direction along Nunnery Lane, passing allotments on your right. Nunnery Lane now joins Bancroft Road at the end of the allotments. Cross over Bancroft Road with care, at the pedestrian crossing. Take the path opposite you that runs along the side of the River Lea. There is a seat very soon, where you can take a break and enjoy the view. You will see some houses to your left. These are in Fenwick Close. Follow the path for a short way until you see a road on your left,which meets Fenwick Close by a group of 7 trees. This is Aldhous Close.
- Turn left and walk along Aldhous Close, admiring the well kept gardens, until you reach Black Swan Lane. Cross over Black Swan Lane and turn right, crossing Brackendale Grove and walking along Kingsley Road towards Trinity Road. Turn left onto Trinity Road by the Sunny Convenience Store and walk towards the traffic light junction with Blundell Road.
- Turning right, cross Trinity Road at the lights. Follow Blundell Road until you have crossed St Josephs Close. Cross Blundell Road at the traffic island with care, then turn left towards Bristol road, which is almost opposite St Josephs Close. Turn right into Bristol Road and follow it the first turning on the right – Solway Road North.
- Turn right into Solway Road North and return to the Saints Community Centre on your right
We hope you enjoy your walking! If you would like the full routecard, visit http://www.getwalking.org/walking-routes/luton-walking-routes/a-walk-to-a-thatched-pub-and-the-river/ or contact Travel Luton on 0800 0281 755.